Saturday, 6 December 2014

Temporary workaround for pdf-xchange viewer crash on wine when trying to save annotations

Background

system: lubuntu 64bit 14.04
wine: wine 64bit 1.6.2
bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33068

Workaround

Solution 1: use a different wine

Using playonlinux, I can install PDFXChange v2.5 using the wine version "1.5.3-heap_allocation_v2-avoid_deadlock" (32-bit), and it does not crash. I am running this under 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04.
But, I don't like installing more software. And, playonlinux is like a mess. This different wine degrades the performance (higher cpu usage) as well.

Solution 2: use virtual desktop

There is no need to install more stuffs. Just use Wine 32bit.

Configure WIN32 arch
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg

Install the 32bit pdf viewer (64 bit viewer still crashes)
msiexec /i PXCViewer_x86.msi

Enable virtual desktop
It is found in winecfg Graphics Tab. Specify the screen resolution you need.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33068#c36

Solution 3: move your cursor away


I have recently discovered that you only need to move your mouse cursor away from the display area of pdfviwer (e.g. to the task bar) and use the short-cut ctrl+s to save your annotations. But, you should not change the viewing width.

1 comment:

  1. it turns out that the following solution is better

    https://datainfer.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/use-pdf-xchange-viewer-in-64bit-ubuntu/

    ReplyDelete